Thursday 5 March 2015


Till I became a parent…



 



Till I became a parent, I didn’t know that….
A bundle of 3 kilograms could dictate your life
Could make you forget all else
Could turn your day & night upside down
And yet you wouldn’t frown.
 
                I didn’t know that a burp could be the most awaited sound
                A piss on you would make you laugh
                Someone’s trumpet could make you smile
                And you could watch someone poop for a while.


That sleep could be so light
A whimper, a toss in the bed
Would put you on high alert
And make you forget your quilt’s comfort.
 
                I didn’t know sleep deprivation would be so sweet
A zombie’s life one could experience
Sleep-feed-hiccups-feed… would a day comprise
And I could get from others so much advice.
 
That I could eat all that I disliked
So that he gets it all
Stuff that would make me sick or fat
Surprisingly I started enjoying all that.
               
I would look forward to changing a diaper
                And study smells & poops
                And carry a colic-y kid for hours together
                Without any trace of tiredness or a whimper.
 
A staycation could be so exhilarating
Baby babbles so much fun
With my baby home alone
Without any other desire or a moan.
 
                Until I became a parent, I didn’t know…
                That a heart could love so much
                A part of it – outside your self
                Beating with a smile & eyes fixed on you
                As you embrace that bundle
                And the small arms enclose you
                It’s the purest bond of love that you ever knew.